Thursday

Dirty Martin's


The search for the Best Burger In Austin (BBIA) started, for me at least, when Lucy's Boatyard closed (they put something in those burgers that spoke to me on multiple levels...).

I've driven by Dirty Martin's many times and never thought to stop. The full name of the place seems to be Dirty Martin's Kum-Bak Place, which makes me uncomfortable. But I'd heard that the burgers were good, and that'll make up for a lot. Ambiance really isn't a word that should be used with Dirty's, it's an unassuming burger joint with an easy going attitude. We ate outside in the gated patio as Guadalupe traffic buzzed.

The Large Cheese Burger ($4.85) has two thin patties and comes with mayo, pickle, and tomato. Fries or any sides are extra. I axed the mayo and got it on a wheat bun w/out a hitch. In no time, our burgers came--as ordered--and the real test came.

The patties are thin, so don't expect juiciness. But expect flavor, of which mine had plenty. The melted cheese and the generous pickles and tomatoes were enough to get a couple of yum-burger-nods. But it was over too soon, and I was left to look longingly across the table at the basket of fries and onion rings my companions wisely thought to order.

I did order a chocolate milkshake but sadly it was was mediocre at best.

Next time I'd take more advantage of the half price apps and get some more fixin's on the burger to make it more substantial.

Dirty Pros: tasty burger, ample parking, beer, and outside eating area.
Dirty Cons: Smallish burgers, imposing signage, and mediocre shakes.

Result: A pretty good burger! But left me wanting more...

No comments: