Thursday

The Devil Built My Burger at the Burger House


Burger House is a new to Austin burger joint that seems to have a good reputation from parts Dallas, so I went with high expectations. On Spicewood Springs, the BH is a burger counter with a pretty full menu with some indoor seating and ample seating outside in a covered picnick style area. You order and they call you name when it's ready. I ordered the double-double (double meat double cheese) with fries and a coke, sat outside, and waited for burger nirvana to chase my rainy-day blues away.



A glance at my bill should have warned me otherwise. My total: $6.66!



Then they started calling names. At least, I think it was names. Either that or Lemmy from Motorhead was behind the register because all the names came out in a guttural demonic wail that was quite unsettling. I guess the outdoor speaker was broken...I hope it was...

Timing it right, I picked up my nice sized burger at the counter, grabbed some self-serve ketchup at the outside fixins bar, and took a bite. I ordered my burger with lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, and added the ketchup myself. Even with all that, the burger was pretty bland. The fries came peppered and were a nice size but also left something to be desired: taste.
I ate the whole thing and didn't feel disgusted with myself afterward, which was nice. But the Burger House was just an okay experience...one I don't plan on repeating.

Pros: Coke products and self-serve ketchup spout.
Cons: Bland food.
Unintentional Comedy Factor: The broken speaker was pretty funny.

No comments: